Google
DUE TO THE GROWTH OF MAHOGANI MEDIA, THIS BLOG IS NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND BEING RE-VAMPED. MM IS STILL PROVIDING INFO ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, SO PLEASE GO "LIKE" US AND STAY UP-TO-DATE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHECK BACK FOR NEW STORIES :)

Tuesday, January 6

BEST OF 2008: Survey Results!



The year 2008 was a glorious year for those that believed in CHANGE ... (my President is Black!!!) ... I think that's the one event I will NEVER forget in '08 (besides me turning 30) ...



But there's much more to remember about the leap year that changed history ...

I surveyed some ATSBC readers (and some of my friends who are from the SBC), asking them for some of what THEY considered the BEST OF 2008 ... and here are the results:









BEST NEW ARTIST of 2008:






Songbird JAZMINE SULLIVAN won the honor of BEST NEW ARTIST OF 2008 from those surveyed.

The 21-year-old Philly native burst onto the scene in early '08 with her hit single "Need U Bad" -- a plea from the obsessed girlfriend who needs a man "like the air (she) breathes" ...

That hit single was followed by another obsession-driven single "Bust Your Windows" which got kudos from the woman and sneers from the men (lol). Jazmine released her debut album "Fearless" in September 2008. The album has garnered her a FIVE Grammy nominations.



Other artists receiving honorable mentions in this category: indie artist Santogold, comedian/singer Wayne Brady, rapper Consequence, and singer Chrisette Michelle. (Wayne and Chrisette are both up for Grammys this year!)



***


I agree with the group (especially about my girl Chrisette -- even though she technically came out in 06) but would also like to add ESTELLE and ANTHONY DAVID to the list ...

I didn't like Estelle at first because they were serving her up as the second coming of Lauryn Hill, but when "American Boy" came out, I couldn't help but get my British jig on (lol).

And Anthony David (India.Arie's protege) has this voice that is so pure and honest ... I was bumpin' his single "Words" on my MySpace page for months.

By the way -- Both of these new artists are up for Grammys this February, so I'm not the only music lover who feels this way ... :)






BEST ALBUM of 2008:





The overwhelming majority of those surveyed (most of which were men) chose LIL' WAYNE's THA CARTER III as the best album of 2008. Released in June of '08, this album spawned hits like "Lollipop", "A Milli" and "Got Money."

Weezy was supposed to make a stop in the SBC last summer but cancelled the concert just a day or two before the event.


Personally, I can't stand LW, and his voice was EVERYWHERE in 2008 -- which made him easier to dislike lol -- but props to him for staying in the game when so many others are falling by the wayside. Weezy is nominated for EIGHT Grammys this year (most of which are for collabs)







Coming in a close 2nd in the BEST ALBUM category was T.I's "PAPER TRAIL."

This was the ONLY rap album I bought last year and it was money well spent. This certified-platinum album spawned the hits "Whatever You Like", "Live Your Life" (which was my ring-tone BEFORE it saturated the radio waves), and "Swagga Like Us" (one of my FAVES -- which is nominated for SEVERAL Grammys).

"Paper Trail" is also up for Best Rap Album at the Grammys, so I think some other folks agree with me.



Other albums receiving nomations by my surveyed group were: Young Jeezy's The Recession, Kanye West's 808's and Heartbreak, David Banner's Greatest Story Ever Told, Dwele's Sketches of a Man, Beyonce's I Am ... Sasha Fierce, and Tye Tribbett's Stand Out





Another album I'd like to give mention to is John Legend's EVOLVER, which (to me) flew under the radar of most media outlets. I LOVED the album and even wrote a review of it. This album brought us the hit "Green Light" (featuring Andre 3000), the inspirational track "If You're Out There" and gave me a new favorite song "Cross the Line."





BEST SINGLE of 2008:





T.I.'s "WHATEVER YOU LIKE" won BEST SINGLE of 2008 among those surveyed.

This song was EVERYWHERE by summertime. I think he performed it on every music award show and the video repeated on every network ... but the funny thing was -- we never got tired of it. There's something about T.I's Southern swagger that attracts the masses -- both male and female -- and this single hit us both ... HARD.

Even comedian Rickey Smiley incorporated it into his show when he visited the SBC, reciting the lyrics for nearly five minutes (lol):

"I want'cho body/Need yo body/As long as youu got me you won't need nobody//You want it I got it/Go get it I buy it/Tell them otha broke niggas be quiet"

That's some powerful ish right there! :-)






Coming in 2nd in the SINGLE category was Beyonce's "Single Ladies" .. released in Fall '08, the single was reminscent of "Get Me Bodied" with it's New Orleans Bounce-like beat.

A great club hit, it was as empowering as "Irreplaceble" and riled up the fellaz just a much (lol). The video was absolutely AWESOME and it's probably the first time since "Baby Boy" that I knew the entire dance from one of B's videos.



Other singles getting votes from surveyors: Mint Condition's "Nothing Left To Say", Ne-Yo's "Mad", Jazmine Sullivan's "I Need U Bad", Lil' Wayne's "Lollipop" (which gets my vote as well) ... and who could forget Marvin Sapp's "Never Would Have Made It",


** To that list, I'd also like to add VIC's "Get Silly", Musiq's "Radio", and Ne-Yo's "Miss Independent" -- all of which were in serious rotation on my playlist. :)






BEST MOVIE of 2008:





THE DARK KNIGHT was voted BEST MOVIE of 2008. I personally don't dig sci-fi/fantasy type of films about dark superhuman people but I hear it was a GREAT movie.

The film was released in July 2008 and broke multiple box office records and was the most successful film of 2008, bringing in -- get this -- over $996 MILLION dollars worldwide.



The film stars the late Heath Ledger, who reprised the role of Joker (previously played by Jack Nicholson). Ledger died of an overdose shortly after the film wrapped production.


  • For those of you who didn't get to see the film in the theater, get ready ... the studio plans to re-release the film on January 23rd (in hopes of an Oscar buzz). The film is already out on DVD if you want to add it to your collection.



Other films receiving votes for Best Movie: Transporter 3, Milk, and Iron Man,








Although it wasn't a smash hit, I have to give props to the film I worked on, "Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins"; released in February 2008, it starred some the hottest comedians of the last decade -- Martin Lawrence, Mike Epps, Mo'Nique, and Cedric The Entertainer.

Not only was it was it a great joy to be a part of the project (which film here and in Minden in 2007), but it stirred my creative passions. The movie itself -- a little more raw than I thought it would be lol.


Other films I want to acknowledge:


  • THE FAMILY THAT PREYS - seeing Sanaa Lathan play the bad girl, and Robin Givens play something other than a golddigger was refreshing. This movie was far from what I thought it would be ... most Tyler Perry's films are completely predictable.

  • SEX AND THE CITY - I was a fan of the show, so I HAD to see the movie. I think I even went the first day. The movie did NOT disappoint. Lots of twists and turns and still a happy ending. Though the Jennifer Hudson cameo was pointless, it was a great movie (but not for the kiddies!).

  • DEATH RACE - I'm a big fan of Jason Statham, so when a guy-friend wanted to go see this, I took him up on it. This is a remake, but still gritty and PACKED with action (and a lot of gruesome deaths) ...




BEST TV SHOW of 2008:




The one category in which a winner wasn't chosen was BEST TV SHOW. With the WGA Strike ending in early 2008, much of scripted TV was shut down and we didn't get new shows until nearly the second half of the year.

Honestly, most of my TV viewing is Reality TV, Discovery Channel and old-school cartoons, so I could understand a winner not being picked. But here are some of the shows mentioned by the survey group as their favorites:


Technically these aren't all NEW shows, but the seasons that ran in 2008 were memorable for their viewers ...



What was on my TV for most of 2008? Here's a list :-)



Flavor of Love 3 (VH1), Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is (BET), Army Wives (one of THE BEST shows on TV!; Lifetime), I Love Money (VH1), The Hills (MTV), From G's To Gents (MTV), Making The Band (MTV), I Want To Work For Diddy (VH1), Scream Queens (VH1), Project Runway (BRAVO), The Real Housewives of Atlanta (BRAVO), The Bad Girls Club, Season 2 (Oxygen) ... and countless other reality TV shows I can't name right now lol ...



I'm so sad to see them go, but hey, on to a new year of fabulous TV! :)







BEST NEWS STORY of 2008:





The ultimate headline for most of 2008 was the Presidential Election. This vote was almost unanimous.

From Obama's first win, to his race speech, to his historic win, it was hard to NOT get involved in politics last year. I became SUCH a fan of CNN because it seemed to be the only network I could count on for complete coverage.

Not only Obama but his opponents were a daily topic ... the debates, Hillary's attack, McCain's inability to form his own thoughts, and let's not forget the hot ass mess this is Sarah Palin. All these players in Campaign '08 gave us PLENTY of entertainment and plenty to talk about over the "water cooler".


The only other headline mentioned by the survey group was the local story about the woman (i.e. Angie Garbarino) who was allegedly beaten up by a Shreveport Police officer in a holding room.


But I think some other headlines had me tuning in -- like the murders of Jennifer Hudson's mother, nephew and brother; and Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, which blew out power to Baton Rouge and left some of my close friends without power for weeks; and let's not forget all the celebirty news -- like the marriages of Beyonce and Jay-Z, and Mariah and Nick Cannon, and the tragic losses of Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes (and more recently Eartha Kitt).



All these stories grabbed our attention in 2008. Which makes you wonder ... what does THIS year have in store???



  • To see more of 2008's top news tories, go HERE.






BEST EVENT/MOMENT:






Without a doubt, the best moment and event of 2008 was November 4th ... the day American elected BARACK OBAMA the 44th President of the United States of America.

It wasn't just about the fact that a "brotha" won ... it was about the fact that AMERICA won. For the first time, it wasn't about politics ... it was about America getting behind one person to MAKE A CHANGE.


I'll always remember (and tell my children) about watching the election at the Clarion Hotel and screaming my face off when they announced Barack had won California and Pennsylvania and was now our President-elect. It was an exciting and exhausting night that will make THIS year one to remember as well. That one moment in 2008 will make 2009 another year to remember ... for the first time the country will be led by a non-White man. And for the first time in a long time, the good guys won.

Barack Obama will be inaugurated on Tuesday, January 20th in Washington, D.C.


  • Stay tuned for more on that historic day (and how you can get involved right here in the SBC)



Some of those surveyed mentioned other great events in '08 ... Like Super Bowl XLII (42)and the release of the I-Phone 3G. I must also add to that LSU's Sugar Bowl win against Notre Dame (damn you Perrilloux for messing the '08 season up!) and my turning 30 years old. Those two events I will remember well.



So there it is .. the BEST OF 2008.


Thanks to all those who took the survey ... and if you feel something should've been added, leave a comment and let me know!



Let's hope that 2009 is just as memorable as 2008 .... Peace and blessings y'all!!! - m




***

No comments:

this blog is published by mahogani media: