Google
DUE TO THE GROWTH OF MAHOGANI MEDIA, THIS BLOG IS NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND BEING RE-VAMPED. MM IS STILL PROVIDING INFO ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, SO PLEASE GO "LIKE" US AND STAY UP-TO-DATE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHECK BACK FOR NEW STORIES :)

Tuesday, March 31

ITEM/COMMENTARY: LEAP Testing Begins Wednesday (Pray For Our Children)



Even if you're like me and you don't have children, everyone should know by now that LEAP/I-LEAP Testing is upon us.


The yearly event is dreaded by students of all ages, but is "necessary" to assess each child's level/understanding of Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies at their grade level. It is much of the reason most kids are held back in school. so it is VERY much a seriou matter.



I don't have children but I have a niece and nephew. She is in the 8th grade and he is in the 6th. Both are testing this week at Youree Drive Middle School.

I see them every weekend and for the past few weeks, my niece has been bringing along some workbooks given to her by the school (or her teachers) to practice testing with lots of great sample questions.

I applaud the school for making the child responsible for his/her own learning (and passing) by making this a part of their homework, but I found a major problem.


When I asked her where her key (as in the answers to the practice questions) was, she said they didn't give her one.


She had THREE workbooks: One for Science, One for Reading and one that gave comprehensive test queastions in all subjects. There had to be about 50 pages in each book ... but no answer key?

So I said to myself: Maybe they're doing the answers in class ... I asked her if that was true. Again, she says NO. She tells me the school (or teachers) told her the workbooks were for HOME and weren't to be brought into class (not even to review).


Being that my niece has gotten low scores on both her 6th and 7th grade LEAP tests, I was starting to see a pattern here: Lack of preparation.

Not only was she taking STANDARDIZED tests, without even trying to find out if her answers were wrong or right, the school wasn't giving them a chance at success by not reviewing the work and leaving it up the student and/or parents to that job for them.


My niece's Science booklet CLEARLY stated in the front that the practice tests were meaNT to be reviewed ... but they weren't. All I can ask is WHY???


My nephew, the 6th-grader who attends the exact same school, notifies me he didn't receive practice booklets but was reviewing in his classes everyday.



Why two different methods for the same students? I guess I'll never know. But I do know that parents need to be better involved in testing (AND school work in general).


Had I never asked her, she never would have been pressed to research and find the CORRECT answers. And I never would have Googled LEAP Practice Tests she could submit online and see her right and wrong answers right there on the screen.



So parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, guardians all over the SBC .. do NOT leave it up to the schools to prepare YOUR child. Make sure YOU'RE preparing them as well. It's a TEAM EFFORT.


If your child doesn't succeed in education, the school, teachers, and administration are only HALF to blame ...


And that's real talk.




CHECK THIS OUT:


I found a lot of great information on LEAP Testing (including practice tests and tips) at http://www.charliefrench.com/ ...

You can also get some GREAT tips on preparing your child HERE. And the Department of Education (DOE) website has some great practice tests for more preparation, plus some great parent resources to help YOU help your child succeed in school.


LEAP or I-LEAP testing runs Wednesday through Friday of this week and picks up again on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Caddo Parish Schools dismiss for Spring Break on Thursday, April 9th (they have Good Friday off).




GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE STUDENTS OF THE SBC ... HAPPY TESTING!!!

No comments:

this blog is published by mahogani media: