Google
DUE TO THE GROWTH OF MAHOGANI MEDIA, THIS BLOG IS NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND BEING RE-VAMPED. MM IS STILL PROVIDING INFO ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, SO PLEASE GO "LIKE" US AND STAY UP-TO-DATE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHECK BACK FOR NEW STORIES :)

Monday, June 22

EVENT PICS: "N The Mix 18" (The Marche' Group Mixer)



Soooo ... I FINALLY got to one of the infamous MARCHE' GROUP Mixers this past Friday (6/19) ... Kickin' off Juneteenth at Encore Nightlife.

I honestly didn't know what to expect. I'd heard many things, like: "Girl it's always packed" and "You gotta wait like an HOUR for a drink" ... and such exclamations about this well-known event. But of course, I always have to experience things for myself ...

And here's my report :)



First, let me say that I was informed I could not bring my trusty camera Nik to the event. Therefore, I had to rely on the much lower quality pocket cam to show you what happened. So forgive me in advance! :)

(in hindsight organizers realize that restricting mahogani media was a bad, bad thing LOL)





Secondly, let me say that upon arrival there were a few dozen people (that changed later), and it was kinda warm in the building. I attempted to cool off with my regular party drink (an amaretto sour) and sat down with my fellow 318Socialites (after walking around the club a bit). Then I was treated to the sounds of MARK SCROGGINS and his band.


Now, I've heard ABOUT Mark, but never heard him SING. People ... the boy is BAD (and that means GOOD). He sang everything from Badu to Gnarls Barkley, and even blew the ish outta my favorite song by Luther, "So Amazing."

And that's exactly how I felt about his performance (the entire BAND's peformance) it was SO AMAZING.


I felt like I was sitting at the bar of the House of Blues at a live concert. Groovin' to the sounds and enjoying every minute of it. SERIOUSLY, SOMEONE needs to book this band on a regular basis. I'd be there at LEAST once a month, maybe two.





See ... I wasn't the only one groovin' :) This couple got out on the floor to show some appreciation for the band's musical talents ....





Toward the end of the band's set, Mark welcomed BILLY BROADWAY to the stage to perform an original song. They both KILLED the performance. (Shout out to BB, who was the first ATSBC Black Music Month Spotlight).






Meanwhile, this was the scene OUTSIDE the building, around 11-ish, just as JAY-TEK (former KMJJ DJ gone to bigger and better things, lol) was taking over the booth.

The line was RIDICULOUSLY long. The two guys working the door couldn't check IDs or take tickets fast enough!





Back in the floor seats (LOL), my girl LB (above) was sipping on a Peach Martini. I've never heard of it being served at any other club in the SBC ... but it was DEELISH. A must-have if ever you go to Encore ...








The rest of the night was filled with the sounds of JAY-TEK on the 1's and 2's ... that boy was bad as well!!! He had me dancing my BUTT off. (Literally, because he played "Da Butt" LOL).



My only complaint of the night was the HEAT. The venue was a SWEATBOX. Everyone was using flyers (from another event) to fan themselves all night. The bar was packed with partiers trying to cool off with a beverage. I swear the A/C was busted, but I could also have sworn I felt a little cool air every now and then (maybe I was hallucinating lol).

Rumor has it the A/C was turned off on purpose to make people want to leave (in order to avoid the events of the previous night, at another event).

Regardless of the reason, people who'd paid $15 and $20 (especially MY people) weren't leavin' because of a little heat. We sweated to the oldies, newbies and everything in between. But I had a GREAT time!




Shout out to Pat Brown and the Marche' Group .... I'm told I'll have more pics to show you soon so check back!!! ... and I'll keep you posted on the NEXT mixer (A/C will be in the building! lol) ...




- m

No comments:

this blog is published by mahogani media: