Google
DUE TO THE GROWTH OF MAHOGANI MEDIA, THIS BLOG IS NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND BEING RE-VAMPED. MM IS STILL PROVIDING INFO ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, SO PLEASE GO "LIKE" US AND STAY UP-TO-DATE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHECK BACK FOR NEW STORIES :)

Monday, August 3

Adventures In The SBC: The Club Hoppin' Edition





My friends and I went out to several places this weekend to enjoy some SBC Nightlife.

I'm used to club hoppin' when I'm covering events, but to go just to be out ... haven't done that since college! Especially for the low price of $20! ...

Three clubs, three parties ... and as the saying goes: Sometimes you get what you pay for ... LOL. Here's my report:




ON FRIDAY:


We travelled to Club Tiffany's (formerly Game Time and The Stock Exchange) on Hollywood Ave. That's where J. Lee and Lee Hunter hosted UNFORGIVEABLE FRIDAYS.

I think I've been inside the club all of two times, so I was eager to see what was inside.


Oh, and I went to support BILLY BROADWAY, who was scheduled to perform :)



Admission was free for Ladies before 11 pm. And when we arrived, we got a ticket for a free drink.

My regular is usually an Amaretto Sour, but the lady bartender told me that didn't classify as a well drink ... so after my bestie told her that I like sweet drinks, she served me a concoction that satisfied my needs (even though I never found out what it was).





Later, our group was joined by about a dozen other people, including a group of AKAS and my photographer and DJ friends, PARTY PUSHAZ (shout to to Isidor, Stan and Anthony :)







As for the club, it's a nice spot. Remind me of clubs I used to go to in high school and college (only one entrance/exit). However, the DJ had a hard time with the "equipment" skipping his CDs so it made it hard to dance or entertain ourselves.





I did get to chill, get a free drink, and meet a new model & fashion designer (shoutout to Latasha and Dennis).





BILLY was attacked by some kind of bug inside the club (pictured above). We never figured out if it came from outside (where he was standing before entering the club) or was an inside bug (lol).

I left before BILLY performed (had to make some mooney), but I heard he made it short and sweet, AND K.P. was there to help.

I also heard he didn't get compensated for his performance. Hmmm ... And folks wonder why we can't get live shows here in the city.






MOVING ON ...


Our next stop Friday night was BIJOU (formerly McArthur's Steakhouse) in downtown Shreveport. It was set to be the spot for the Greek Show afterparty, but the show ran late (and I hear the Kappas punked out of the Stroll Competition) ... so partiers consisted of mostly Grown Folks.

I ran into Pat Brown of the MARCHE' GROUP (who's getting ready for his big Labor Day Mixer on Sept. 4th), and a few other personal and professional friends. The crowd was kind of shallow but we lounged for a while and chatted.


Yet AGAIN, the DJ made it difficult to enjoy ourselves. I was already hungry and a lil' tipsy but when I finally sat down to lounge, my ears were assaulted by 10-minute long oldies/blues songs, immediately followed by more current line dances ... and then songs like "Da Butt". The DJ (a female) was all over the place.

I've had a friend tell me part of the reason they don't enjoy themselves at the spot is because of the "80's music" played there. I think I would have to concur from my experience this night.

Usually I love it there because it's a great atmosphere and a cool chill spot, but Friday night was just OFF for some reason.



I know one time I was there and Bill Sharp (wassup!) DJ'd I really enjoyed myself. He played neo-soul and R&B and it was really nice.

Hope next time I'm there I can hear him ... or that AMAZING saxaphonist Eddie Spencer (or Total Choice or Mark Scroggins ... I mean take your pick people, there's a lotta talent in the SBC! lol).






The one entertaining moment was when PRETTY BOI ENT's Kendrick got on the dance floor and literally "dropped to the floor" .. LOL. He danced like his life depended on it!!! :)








He had us DYING laughing (though I don't think it was meant to be funny lol) ...


Needless to say we didn't stay long. Night one was a total bust. MOVING ON ....




ON SATURDAY ...


Our crew regrouped and added a few people to the flock to head out to GIGI'S MARTINI ROOM.


The main reason we went was to try to salvage our weekend ... and another reason was to help BILLY BROADWAY continue end his week-long birthday celebration will a bang. Even though we had to pay $10 admission -- We got VIP treatment and a reserved balcony.





The staff was great to us (especially the security guy with the dreadlocks) and DJ SLIMM was on his ish as usual (shouting out Billy's name at least 30 times over the course of the night, and making us feel like celebrities by shouting our crew out too).





I swear SLIMM is the most underrated DJ in the city. EVERY time I go to GiGi's he makes me sweat ... cuz I STAY on the dance floor!!! And he's right, I NEVER (or Rarely ever) hear the same thing twice when he DJs. And he REALLY enjoys his work. He bounces harder than the crowd does! lol.










VIP. Champagne. Personal service. Awesome music. GIGI's did it right, I must say. They helped us have a GREAT weekend.

Aside from some of the rude-ass people who don't know how to say "excuse me" and some of the clowns on the dance floor it was a perfect night. THANKS TO MACK & THE GIGI'S STAFF :) !! :)





OH ... AND ONE MORE THING ...



Before we walked in GiGi's, we saw this outside of KOKOPELLIS ...





YES .. a chartered bus dropped off a gang of people like it was the a pub c I rawl, a tailgate party or better yet -- The 40/40 club and Jay-Z and Beyonce were inside. People, WTF???

Seriously? Did people spend MONEY to get dropped off on the corner of COMMERCE street in SHREVEPORT???? Only at KOKO ... (SMDH) .



***


SOOOOO ... What's on TAP for next weekend??? CARL THOMAS & DAVE HOLLISTER in Concert on Friday ... a BLACK & WHITE PARTY at the Bijou on Saturday .... PLUS a lot more to see and do.




Check in on THURSDAY for the WEEKEND HAPZ Report to get all the details (or check the flyer bin at the bottom of the blog for limited info right now!!!)

No comments:

this blog is published by mahogani media: