Google
DUE TO THE GROWTH OF MAHOGANI MEDIA, THIS BLOG IS NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND BEING RE-VAMPED. MM IS STILL PROVIDING INFO ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, SO PLEASE GO "LIKE" US AND STAY UP-TO-DATE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHECK BACK FOR NEW STORIES :)

Wednesday, July 16

ATSBC Super Blog: Past, Present & Future

(photo by Val Horvath of The Times)


Last weekend was pretty busy here in the SBC. Besides dodging raindrops, hundreds of softball players and fans were doing their part to "Strike Out Sickle Cell" at the 32nd Annual Sickle Cell Softball Tournament.



The tournament was held this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Cargill and Southern Hills Metro Parks. Nearly 200 participants and just as many spectators braved the temperatures to support a worthy cause.








The weekend began with a Home Run Derby on Friday night ... Check out The Times' pre-game story HERE and See pictures from that night HERE.


Here are some pictures from the rest of the weekend:






(pictures above by Val Norvath of The Times)











(pictures above by Henrietta Wildsmith of The Times)









(pictures above by Val Horvath of The Times)




See ALL the pics from Saturday HERE and HERE ... See the rest of the Sunday pics HERE


Proceeds from the Tournament go to help the Northwest Louisiana Sickle Cell Foundation's key programs of education/awareness and health care.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE ...


I'll be honest. Me and the SCF haven't had the best relationship. Even when I called to get some information e-mailed to me about the tournament, I didn't receive a thing (which is why there was no pre-game blog about it). But the tiny bit of resentment I feel for them has more to do with something else ...


Let me share some more pictures with you:



Kevin Woodard (1964-2005)


Anthony Woodard (1960-2001)



These are my two brothers, Kevin and Anthony Woodard. I lost both of them to sickle cell.

They were sick all their lives, but hardly ever complained about it and never asked to be treated differenlty.

Born in the mid 1960s, when sickle cell wasn't something people really tested for, my oldest brother, Anthony had to become gravely ill before his condition was known. Then throughout both their lives they were told they wouldn't live to see puberty ... then they wouldn't live to see adult hood ... even today the average lifespan for a person born with sickle cell is 45 years old.

Both my brothers (born four years apart) died at age 41.

Before my oldest brother died, I contacted the SCF to help him. Both my brothers did not want to go to dialysis, which is recommended in later stages of life to help the kidneys function and replace sickled blood cells with healthy blood cells. At most the SCF just recommended a dialysis center.

When I contacted them about my 2nd brother, I think a representative came to visit him in the hospital but that was it. Later, after they died, I attempted to volunteer with the organization in hopes of helping family members like myself and children/adults living with sickle cell.

I mentioned my past experience with the organization to a person at the foundation and I was told that the main health care focus is on children, not adults (though that's not what their website says). I guess when your lifespan is less than 50 years, who cares to follow them into adulthood right? (I'm being bitterly sarcastic here).

Sometimes I wonder where the money goes because we were never offered financial assistance (being in and out of the hospital, medication and dialysis centers cost money) -- Is it because they weren't children?

For whatever reason, they weren't given the help I thought they should have. I guess it's not their job to fullfill MY expectations but I feel if you say you're gonna provide services for one group, you should provide them for all.

I've supported the radiothon, the softball tournament and shook cans with my sorors for years, but when I needed the help for my brothers, I didn't get the same support.



I'm not saying don't help the Foundation. I'm not saying what happened (or didn't happen) with my brothers is their fault. I'm just saying that I wish I could've gotten the same support I gave them. And though I still support the cause, it is now with a heavy heart.

For those of you living with it or has a family member with sickle cell, I feel your pain. For those that don't know what sickle cell is or what it does to those with it -- Educate Yourself.

1000 people are born every year with sickle cell. 80,000 are currently living with it. And over 2 million live with the trait (which means if you marry someone with the trait, you could bare a child with the disease).

Thankfully Anthony left us with two children. My niece and nephew were not supposed to be here, because he was advised not to have children. He did it anyway. And I'm thankful for it.

Now I educate them, not only about their father and uncle, but about what living with the trait means for their lives.

So it's great to donate here and there ... and swing a bat once a year ... but the crisis is 7 days a week, 365 days a year ... so do more.

Even with my experience I plan to get more involved. Then maybe what happened to me won't happen to anyone else ...


RIP Anthony and Kevin -- I miss you! :)







IN OTHER NEWS:











In case you didn't know, Brother's Seafood has closed their location in the Red River Entertainment District. Their last day of business was this past Monday.




Truth be told, Chef Orlando has been talking about this move for a while, which is one of the reasons why he opened the Monkhouse Drive location.




The Monkhouse location will remain open, and if you could drive all the way downtown for Pete Harris or Brother's you can go to Monkhouse to get it! LOL.




(See the story on the closing HERE ... See Channel 3's video story HERE.)








MOVING ALONG ... HERE IN THE PRESENT:





There are a couple of events of interest going on today ... including the America's Next Top Model Auditions (CLICK HERE for more information) and the Voter's Registration Drive (CLICK HERE for information on that).




IN THE FUTURE:



GET READY FOR NATIONAL NIGHT OUT!

Registration for the 25th annual National Night Out is underway in Shreveport and Bossier City.

The event, which will be Aug. 5, is a chance for neighbors to get to know each other by spending a couple of hours together. Those wanting to throw a party and wish to have their street blocked off or have a visit from a city employee must fill out a form and turn it in to their respective city offices by July 25.

The parties must take place from 6 to 9 p.m.

For Shreveport: Registration forms are available at the city’s website, www.ci.shreveport.la.us or by calling 673-5100.

For Bossier City: Registration forms are available at www.bossiercity.org and must be returned to the community services division.

Forms are also available at the police department front lobby and the BCPD Training Center at 1349 E. Texas.

Forms can also be faxed to residents by calling 741-8349.

To close city streets, 51 percent of the resident’s signatures are needed and the petition will be subject to approval by the police department.







And Speaking of good causes ... (from the Times)


The American Cancer Society is looking for cosmetologists in Shreveport to serve as volunteer facilitators for “Look Good…Feel Better,” a program that helps female cancer patients cope with appearance-related side effects from cancer treatment by teaching them beauty tips to enhance their looks and self-image.

“Look Good…Feel Better” is a non-medical program offered free of charge by the American Cancer Society, the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association Foundation and the National Cosmetology Association.

No product endorsements are given, and participants are never asked to buy anything from volunteers or participating organizations.

A three hour training session for new volunteers will be required. At the session, volunteers will learn how to teach women undergoing cancer treatment to cope with changes in their body caused by treatment, such as hair loss and changes in skin color.

For information on Look Good...Feel Better, please call 1-800-ACS-2345 or visit the American Cancer Society’s Web site at www.cancer.org.



- m

No comments:

this blog is published by mahogani media: