Google
DUE TO THE GROWTH OF MAHOGANI MEDIA, THIS BLOG IS NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND BEING RE-VAMPED. MM IS STILL PROVIDING INFO ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, SO PLEASE GO "LIKE" US AND STAY UP-TO-DATE! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CHECK BACK FOR NEW STORIES :)

Monday, August 18

School's Back In Session ... Yaaaay?




Ok so I'm not a parent but I'm hella happy that school is back in session.

Not only because I won't have to hear kids at the pool and out in the parking lot of my complex at all times of the night, but because it makes life a photography studio much easier lol. (PLUS, I'm eager to substitute again).

I'm sure parents all over the SBC are breathing a silent sigh of relief this week.

Teachers -- maybe not so much lol.

The Times did an article on what teachers face in the classroom on a daily basis.

I thought I had it bad as a sub, but I guess I only have to deal with them one day (sometimes only for one hour) and teachers have them for nine months.

Check the story out HERE ... and parents, please work with the teachers! They're with your child (x30) every single day!

I think if every parent had to sub for a day they'd greatly appreciate the teachers of the world.


Anyway ... Both Caddo and Bossier Parishes started school this week. I think most of East Texas (as well as local colleges) start next week.


One of the biggest changes this year is the new High School Redesign plan for the state of Louisiana. (Check out the details HERE).

When I was in high school we were required to complete 17 credits for graduation plus pass senior English and the GEE (Graduate Exit Exam).

Starting this year, all high school students have to complete 24 credit hours and test out of each class at the end of the year.


Some say it will hold kids back and drive them to dropping out, others say it will prepare them better for college. Honestly I agree with both.

I personally think every student should have four years of English plus a Creating Writing course. I had too many people in my freshman (college) English class who couldn't read aloud with stumbling, much less contruct a proper paragraph for the many essays we had to write.


One drawback for students (besides more classes) is that if you don't pass your test at the end of the course, you have to repeat it (sort of like college! lol).

The state is giving those who fail, or doing want to go to college, the option of going to vocational school. I think that option will drive a lot of people away from college when they should stick it out and complete high school.


There are pros and cons for days with this new program that could go on for days.

I had to complete four years of English, Math and Science anyway because I went to Byrd and was in the Math/Science program. But, unlike future students, I had six hours of school. Some schools (including my alma mater) may have to convert to block scheduling like Southwood High School just to meet the new requirements.

Changes like these may prepare students for college, but what the state may not be oonsidering is the COST of college.

Even if students pass the tests, who's to say they can AFFORD college by the time they graduate. While students have to spend more time on more classes they may have to give up extra-curricular activities, part-time jobs and social activities just to stay afloat. While it MAY make them better students, it may hold them back in other ways.

I took 17 credits and have a Bachelor's degree and a lot of my classmates have higher degrees.

You can't punish the kids for the state's failure to pay teachers, improve schools and provide a better education. Most of the teachers educated in Louisiana, move to Texas ... and not because of the curriculum ... because of the schools' environments and low pay.

Fix the system ... not the kids ...



(This has been a mahogani commentary ... lol)



WELCOME BACK STUDENTS, TEACHERS AND FACULTY ... HAVE A GREAT YEAR!

No comments:

this blog is published by mahogani media: